31 July 2013

Collecting Colours : Yellow + Navy

Well, I'm cutting this one just a little fine. But it's still July. For at least another four hours here in Seoul. Heaps of time really. I've been putting this one off because navy has proved rather painful to shoot. I found it tricky to find a lot of interesting navy out on the streets, and when I did find it it often looked either washed out or almost black in the final shot. But, with some dedicated eye-spying and a bit of Lightroom tweaking I got there in the end. 

Deep dark navy and bright yellow features heavily in some of my favourite colour schemes, like this one and this one and this one (all by Brandi Hussey). But you'll note in each of those palettes the pair is moderated by lighter shades of blue, or lots of grey, or a mustardy yellow. Like last months pair (pink and yellow), I also think these guys need a third, or fourth or even fifth colour to join the party for them really to sing. And I think they need to be out of balance; the yellow needs to step back and act as a highlight. 

So - whilst I'm not convinced that this months diptychs really work, I'm not writing this pair off just yet. My ideal bedroom is still all about deep navy blues (and lots of moody greys) with a little pop of yellow. And just look at how navy and yellow works in this lounge room - wonderful!

* * * * * * *

Every month through 2013 I'll be 'collecting colours', and you can join in too! Just create something, anything based on the colour pair for each month. Link up below, Instagram, Tweet and/or add your photo to the Flickr group here. You can go here to get all the information you need.  


7 comments:

  1. I love the boldness of blue and yellow together. I found a great outfit pic the other day that was of a lady wearing blue and yellow in front of a red background. I've been obsessed with it and primary colours ever since!

    Love your photos (as always)!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that outfit / background combo sounds amazing!

      Delete
  2. Oooh. Very nice color combo collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh this is a good little challenge - will give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see what you create if you do join in Anastasia! The link for this colour pair will be open for another few weeks + fyi the colour pair for August is navy and purple :)

      Delete
  4. I'm completely off the wagon with this challenge. I've resigned to just enjoying everybody else's entries. I like that there is a tiny speck of yellow even in the first blue picture.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.